Monday 16 May 2011

bondi mosaics

having this blog has given me an even greater appreciation of my area and has made me really look closely at things i took a bit for granted in the past.


remember the north bondi murals i showed you a few weeks ago...this mosaic art work is at the other end of the wall bordering the rock pool at the sheltered north end of bondi beach. a place where little kids love to play in the shallow water before graduating to the surf.


the mosaic wall, a community project by local artists, makes an inspiring backdrop for play and fun in the sun and tells a beautiful story about the cyclic nature of life by the sea.

in the beginning..



aboriginal story about how the sea was made


imagine the hours and hours of work that went into this



sydney harbour bridge in there




i love the idea of community art projects. congratulations to these talented artists.


i'd love to hear what you think.


cheryl x

5 comments:

  1. I love your photos and close-ups of the mosaic. Your sea shots are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a truly amazing piece of artwork - wow! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful Cheryl! What a great project for the community. I can imagine the 1000 of hours spent but so worth it. :)
    Have a wonderful day!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing.. I want speak better to explain that I think of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I am the artist that was commissioned to make this mural. My name is on the plaque at the end. It took one year to produce this mural with approx. 500 volunteers and I was only paid for 6 months work.My name is Suzanne Holman and this is the largest community mural in the world.
    Its suffering the salt air and wave action and many of the glazes have dissapeared on it but I am glad you all like it. Thank you
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...