Monday 24 June 2013

simple macrame diy





In this fast pace, high tech world we live in it's great to see some old school crafts coming back. In the 70s (were you born yet ?) I had a macrame plant hanger in my room and remember having a go at making some kind of macrame wall hanging. 




Inspired by all sorts of macrame hangers I've seen in shops I figured out how to make one that's really simple and quick using things you probably already have around the house. 
Maybe an idea for kids to make in the school holidays.





1. Cut 8 lengths of string about 1 metre 42" and knot together at the top

2. Hang on a wall hook, divide into pairs, then tie knots about 42cm 16" down the string

3. Knot the strings in a criss cross pattern

4. Place a recycled tin inside. At this stage I laid the whole thing on a table and continued knotting, repeating 4 or 5 times. Tie all the strings together at the bottom. 

This size also fits a glass jar.




Remove the tin and fill with potting mix. I used cuttings of Japanese money plant, which are surviving well inside with plenty of light .. any kinds of succulent would look good. 
Top with white pebbles or shells.




I'd like to try a more complicated design sometime soon.

Hope you have a great week! 



joining
finding silver pennies



13 comments:

  1. These are sweet! I like the contrast in textures, nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a simple and great idea Cheryl. What lovely gifts these would make.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks carolyn. your kids might enjoy making them x

      Delete
  3. I am loving all this old school stuff coming back Cheryl (I've been bitten with the crocheting bug really bad!). It's funny actually because I was looking for a simple macrame plant hanger pattern just the other day, so I was really excited to read your post today!
    Have a great day lovely.
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks like you're enjoying the crochet cas. love the cushions you made!
      x

      Delete
  4. very cute, i remember my sister and my mum making macrame stuff in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think a lot of 70's fashion is in right now x

      Delete
  5. I like the idea and using coloured thread make it so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheryl
    Sadly yes I was alive in the 70's and then some. Not my favourite era but this certainly takes me back and a clever way to hang some greens. Clever you and patient you!

    Thanks for the kind comments. I didn't see the moon either just patched together some old photos

    Have a great, albeit wet, week ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hanging macramé, especially love your rustic tins. They look super cool Cheryl! 70's fashions was the best, specifically adored the interiors back then...I have such fond memories of my parents blue and green shagpile carpet and matching coloured wallpapered walls. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your idea. It´s simple, but it looks great!
    Regards
    Rosalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your macrame with the rustic cans giving it a modern twist! I was a 70's child and made a macrame holder for my parents when I was at school.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...